Coronaviruset och covid-19: Nya skärpta nationella föreskrifter för att bryta den ökade smittspridningen Läs mer om covid-19 och coronaviruset och hur Örnsköldsviks kommun hanterar coronapandemin.


School and education

The Municipality's Education Department manages the activities of all types of municipal school, from preschools through to adult education. There are also independent schools that operate from preschool up to upper secondary level.

At preschool, our youngest children enjoy education activities led by educated staff. The preschool has its own curriculum.

Children between the ages of one and five are entitled to a place at preschool if their parents are working or studying. If parents are on leave in order to take care of a newborn sibling, the older child is allowed to attend preschool for 15 hours per week. This applies to parents who are seeking work as well.

Parents who are working or studying pay a preschool fee. The fee is calculated based on the parents' joint income.

Furthermore, all children between the ages of three and five are entitled to 15 hours of educational activities per week, free of charge – known as general preschool – regardless of whether or not their parents are working. General preschool is offered between 1 September and 31 May.

Preschools can be found in many different places. One preschool is open for children whose parents work at night or weekends.

If you wish to apply for a preschool place, you can do so using the e-service on the Municipality's website (the form is in Swedish). You can also call the Municipal Contact centre +46(0)660-880 00 and they will put you in touch with the staff who will handle your application.

Apply no later than four months prior to the date when you need the preschool place.

Preschool classes
In the year when a child turns six, the Municipality sends their parents an offer regarding preschool class. Preschool class is optional and aims to stimulate the child's interest in learning and provide a foundation for continued schooling.

Compulsory school
In Sweden, all children must start school in the year they turn seven. Compulsory school lasts for nine years and attendance is compulsory until the child turns 16. Persons who are registered in the Municipality are notified in  the year their child turns seven.  Children are be placed at the school closest to their home, unless their parents specifically request otherwise.

If you have recently moved into the area and have children who are of school age, you must contact the school office in your area. If you do not know which school area you live in, please contact the Municipal Contact centre on +46(0)660-880 00 for help.

After-school recreation centres
After-school recreation centres are available for children between the ages of six and thirteen who need supervision before and/or after school.  Educated staff develop activities in accordance with the school curriculum. The centres are usually located in, or very close to the school. Parents pay for attendance at the centres.

You can apply for your children to attend an after-school recreation centre via a form on the Municipality's website (the form is in Swedish). You can also call the Municipal Contact centre on +46(0)660-880 00 and they will put you in touch with the staff who will handle your application.

Music and arts schools and technical schools
The Municipality's music and arts and technical schools  offer voluntary activities that pupils can apply to take part in outside of school hours.

Special school
Pupils who need extra support during their schooling should, in the first instance, receive this support at the school closest to their home. Pupils who have severe functional impairments can, following an investigation and in accordance with the parents' wishes, be granted a place at a special school. There may be medical, psychological, educational or social reasons why a place at a special school is considered to offer the pupil the best conditions for their development and learning.

Upper secondary school
Upper secondary school is not compulsory but most young persons choose to continue their studies after completing their compulsory schooling. The education at upper secondary school prepares pupils for higher education and is often a prerequisite for entering the labour market.

Upper secondary education lasts for three years. Courses can be either theoretically and/or practically oriented. Sports programmes offer young persons who are focused on reaching elite level the opportunity to practice their sport alongside their regular studies. Örnsköldsvik Municipality has two upper secondary schools: Parkskolan and Nolaskolan.

Higher education
Campus Örnsköldsvik offers higher vocational education, university courses and research opportunities in collaboration with Umeå University. Other higher education institutions also offer the option of distance learning. 

The campus is in central Örnsköldsvik, close to buses and trains. Students are guaranteed accommodation but must pay their own rent.

Adult education and validation
Adults who have not completed their compulsory and/or upper secondary school education have the opportunity to continue their studies. Persons registered as living in Örnsköldsvik are eligible to apply for the Municipality's adult education in the autumn of the year in which the person turns 20. The education is free at compulsory school level. At upper secondary school level, the student has to buy their own educational material and literature.

Persons who have acquired skills via another country's educational system, or in another manner, can have their skills validated. Following validation, the person receives a certificate of merits. Contact adult education at: +46(0)660-889 00.

Swedish for immigrants (sfi)
Municipal adult education offers Swedish for immigrants (sfi) for persons who lack a basic knowledge of the Swedish language. The teaching also provides information about Swedish society and working life.

To participate in Swedish for immigrants you must be at least 16 years old, be registered as living in the Municipality and have a complete personal identity number. Swedish for immigrants can be combined with other courses, work or internships. The classes are free.

If you want to know more about Swedish for immigrants, please contact the counsellor for adult education on: +46(0)660-889 00.

Sidan uppdaterades